Grilled Pepper Salad
Makes 8 servings
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill, or preheat broiler. Cut peppers lengthwise into quarters; discard stems and seeds. Place peppers skin sides down on grid or skin sides up on a baking sheet. Grill over hot coals or broil 3 inches from heat source until skins are evenly blackened, about 10 minutes. Transfer peppers to a bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes.
Working over the bowl to catch any pepper juices, peel off and discard charred skins from peppers. Cut peppers into long thick strips. Place peppers and any accumulated juices in a shallow dish.
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, sugar and pepper; mix well. Pour over peppers. Cover; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes or refrigerate up to 1 day before serving.
- Serve peppers and marinade over lettuce leaves; top with basil.
- 3 medium Red Bell Peppers
- 3 medium Yellow or Orange Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 8 large Red Lettuce Leaves
- 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Basil